Tater and Tot

Just a little dirt from my Tater Patch.

6.10.2006

Oh Yeah, I Was Doing That Blog Thing. Looks Like I Forgot.

Just kidding. I didn't really forget. Like Anonymous said in a comment from the last post (obviously not one of my parents) I have been incredibly busy with our Vacation Bible School at church. What a wonderful experience it has been! I was the 1st and 2nd grade teacher, along with one co-teacher, and we had 30 kids almost every night. Thirty loud, sweaty, smelly, talkative, and did I say loud? kids - and it was wonderful!! Our church is in a lower income neighborhood and most of these kids need love so bad it can just break your heart. For some of them it seems like they spend the majority of their time getting in trouble instead of getting hugged. It truly is a sad situation. So, it can be a terribly hard week. But we try so hard to make the kids know what it's like to be accepted and praised and loved and able to spend at least 6 nights of their summer just worrying about being kids. It's so fulfilling and such a blessing to be able to experience a closeness with kids that you might not otherwise get to know. Needless to say, however, I'm tired.
On a another note,Tater and Tot both got to experience their first VBS this week, and both had a wonderful time! The commencement ceremony was tonight and the kids all got to perform the songs that they had learned throughout the week, complete with motions. Of course, Tater and Tot and I had been practicing every day with our own copy of the CD, and the girls were precious up in front of all the families dancing their little hearts out! Between me, Nana, and Papaw, there were enough laughs and tears to last all month. I was very impressed with their dancing abilities. They obviously got their their rhythm from me. Enough said.
After I detox from the 30 kids (32 if you count my own) I will continue the smelly post from so, so long ago. Even if I have no one left to read it!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be here to read it! I have such great memories of VBS. Funny, most of those memories have you in them somewhere!I'm so happy tater & tot got to enjoy it! I want to see pictures. I'm also very proud of you...I know you touched the lives of all those kids and they will be forever grateful to you! Get some rest and get back this thing called blogging! I love ya.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Glad you're back. Sounds like your time was spent in a worthwhile endeavor. My hub teaches in an urban school with a 98% poverty rate and a neighborhood that is No. 1 in murder here in our city. I know what you mean about just letting them be kids. I'll be back to see your Part III post on scent.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger but Momma said...

I love VBS! Sounds like ya'll had a blast. The little ones dancing is my favorite part! My 2 yr old tries to do all the motions for "Awesome God" and it is SO cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home