Tater and Tot

Just a little dirt from my Tater Patch.

4.07.2006

Here goes nothing...

Well, after much pondering, I have decided to blog. B-L-O-G...it seems as though everyone's doing it. I just Googled mom blogs, and can not believe how many mom's are out there putting their stories on line. Worth a shot I guess. I'm sure that there has been research done, and probably a very intelligent reason why mothers are attracted to blogging their daily lives. Perhaps it is because parenting is the most difficult job on the face of the earth. A job that is entered into with virtually little or no training. Imagine a NASA engineer committing to work on the next shuttle to launch into space with no one telling them which part of the process is theirs to manage. Get the picture? Perhaps it is because being a mother is the type of position that no one on the face of the earth can relate to except another mother. And usually another mother who is the same situation as you are. Not a mother of 20 or 30 years ago. Although full of very knowledgeable and insightful information, grandmothers and great-grandmothers seem to take to the notion that their experience parenting was quite harder that yours. Maybe it was - but that's not what I need to hear. I need comfort that you are as scared as me that we might possibly be scarring our children for life. And I will comfort you when you say that your baby pulled a TV off of its stand yesterday by telling you that mine fell off of a couch and has carpet burn on her face. See, it happens to everybody.
So, enough about that - more about me...
I am a stay-at-home mom of two gorgeous, smart, funny, and trouble-making little girls. For the sake of not being sure how much specific information I am going to share about my family (names and such), I am going to refer to my girls as Tater and Tot. Tater will be 3 in May and Tot will be 2 in July. "Wow, that's really close," you say. My response? Yes it is. "Did you plan it that way?" you ask. Me: I always say that if you are not preventing then you are planning...so I suppose we were planning. We were surprised, but extremely excited! Normally, you say, "So, how is it? Two babies just fourteen months apart..." My response to this question can vary...
scenario 1: I wake up to Tater in my face screaming for grain bars and milk. Maybe demanding instead of screaming, but I can't hear her for the screech in her voice not to mention that her mouth is exactly 2 inches from my right ear. In the background, Tot is crying a constant scream of "Momeeeeee, Momeeeee." I groggily take the baby from the crib and, after wiping the tears and the snot, attempt to take her downstairs. It is at this time that Tater has decided that she needs to revert back to infancy and declare that she cannot walk down the stairs, and must be carried. I explain that it is not possible for Mommy to carry both down the stairs and she is big enough to walk on her own. A full-blown on-the-floor-kicking-and-screaming tantrum begins. I then proceed down the stairs only to find that Tater indeed can, and has, walked down the stairs before waking me. It seems as though she decided that her morning project is redecorating the living room and kitchen. I'm not sure if redecorating is the word I'm looking for....more like a magic marker mural on the walls, counter, table, and trash cans. And that was just the kitchen. Serve that up with evidence of a chair climbing banana stealing heist, a hearty snack of cereal, most of which is on the floor, and wrappers from my if-I-hide-it-here-she's-just-two 1/2- and-will-never-see-it-candy, and you have Tater at her finest. I could go on, but surely you would be bored. And so our day begins...
Response to scenario 1: I don't know, see if you can guess. I'm always busy, never have a moment to myself, can't remember the last time I have pottied in peace (yes, have a two year old and it suddenly becomes "pottied") and spent at least 98.2% of my waking hours cleaning up after a husband, two kids, and two cats. If I make it through the next 3 years without being committed, it will be an absolute miracle.
scenario 2: After a morning of quiet and sleeping in (okay, maybe no sleeping in, but everyone can dream), Tater comes to me and asks "Mommy, I need breakfast, please. And some milk." I hear Tot from her crib asking sweetly "Mommy? Mommy?" I go to retrieve her and she looks at me with the most adorable smile I've ever seen and says "Mommy, I a good girl?" Of course you are, my angel baby. Breakfast is full of giggles and jokes, questions and answers, singing and rhyming. I am rewarded with kisses and hugs and the brightest smiles in the world. And so our day begins....
Response to scenario 2: I don't know, see if you can guess. I'm always busy, never have a moment to myself, can't remember the last time I've pottied in peace and spend at least 98.2% of my waking hours cleaning up after a husband, two kids, and two cats. If the next three years go by as quickly as the past three years have, and if my girls keep growing this fast right before my eyes, I'll have to be committed. If ever I forget how blessed I am to have such a wonderful, precious, and unbelievably overwhelming life, I deserve to be committed.

Until next time,
Tater and Tot's Mommy

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Mom101 said...

Welcome to blogdom! You started the same as all of us, which is basically, "uhh...am I doing this right?" And the answer is hell, yeah.

Thanks for the nice comment at my place. If you're looking for inspiration, I pride myself on having one of the best blogrolls (ie list of good places to click on and waste a day) in the business. What I found (and I haven't been doing this much longer than you) is that yeah, this is a good place to vent and get support, but the quality of writing out there is so impressive, it pushes all of us to be a little better. Nice side-effect! Welcome aboard.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Kacey said...

Oh, yes, Kelly, that was for you! Surely you didn't think that I could write about motherhood and not mention the TV incedent! That's why we are such great friends. We can watch our children get injured (or slip away in a jogging stroller, or torture a pregnant stranger at the park while pretending not to notice or even lose one particular baby in a Special Activities Building while its mother goes to the bathroom) and laugh about it later. I'm not sure when the final vote is for the Mother of the Year Award, but I'm almost positive that we will either tie or be a close 1st/2nd combo. Have 1st and 2nd place ever been from the same town? There's a first time for everything! And just let me know if there is ever an unfortunate incident at your homestead - just ring me up - I'm sure that I'll have some story to share that will make you feel better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home